PRIVATE SCHOOLS: HAGWONS
Because they are constantly hiring and tend to offer higher pay and shorter working hours, private schools, called hagwons are a good option for people looking to spend a year abroad and save as much money as possible. In contrast to public schools, many other foreigners work in hagwons, providing an easier transition into a new culture.
The great thing about Hagwons is that there are a wide variety of curriculums to learn and teaching styles to adapt to. This will lead to you being a well rounded teacher as time goes on. You will also receive a good salary, free housing, and a network to start from.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Competitive salary ranging from 2 million to 2.7 million KRW per month, depending on experience and qualifications.
- Paid vacation and holidays.
- Settlement allowance of 300,000 KRW.
- Free furnished housing or housing allowance of 400,000 KRW.
- Full refund of the national pension plan for US, Canadian and Australian citizens.
- Severance payment to those who successfully complete their contract.
- Nationality: United Kingdom, USA, Australia, Canada, Ireland, South Africa or New Zealand.
- Qualification: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college (2 year college graduates are not accepted).
Criminal History: You must have a clean criminal record. That means no charges, arrests or convictions, can appear on your criminal record check. Even drink and drive related charges on your application will not be accepted.
Native English speaker: You must be a Native English speaker to teach in Korea. That means English must be your first spoken language.